It's fascinating to see how the world woven by words of light novels and novels are turned into animation. In 2020, various titles such as “The Millionaire Detective Balance: Unlimited”, “Woodpecker Detective's Office”, and “My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!”, have been given anime adaptions.
So we at Anime!Anime! have conducted the same survey as we did in the last half of 2019 asking, “Which light novel/novel do you want to see an anime adaption of? (First half of 2020)”. There were 1,086 votes during the voting period from Jun. 3 through Jun. 12.
The gender ratio was at 80% male and 20% female, and the age range leaned toward the younger side with 30% being under 19 and 30% in their 20s.
■Works that have a promotional video or drama CD ranked high.
1st place went to “Legend” with roughly 25% of the votes.
A fantasy novel that depicts the adventures of Rei, who was reincarnated in the parallel world Elgin, and the magical beast Seto. The saga has about 2500 chapters posted on “Shousetsuka ni Narou” (Let's Become a Novelist) website and received comments, such as “It's a success story of the protagonist and the magical beast Griffin. I'd love to see how the long story, which is amazingly paced, will be presented in an anime,” and “It has enough chapters to make it an anime, so I want to see it as a long-run series.”
Coming in 2nd was “ShangriLa Frontier ~ Shitty Games Hunter Challenges Godly Game ~”.
This is another popular title of “Shousetsuka ni Narou” website, which centers on the protagonist high school student, who loves shitty games. It still hasn't been published as a book, but many fans look forward to seeing an animation of it, “The breathtaking development, terrific battle scenes, entertaining dialogue between the fascinating characters, sense for names, etc. Every element of the work has great quality,” and “I'm interested to see how the many games in the work will be depicted in an anime.”
“Kusuriya no Hitorigoto”, which was at the top in the ranking of the last half of '19 survey, dropped its position to 3rd place, but is still in a high position.
“A Chinese style mystery with the element of romance. It depicts the difficulty of a woman to have the same job as a man, and makes you think about many things,” and “It doesn't have that ugly situation of which is common for a story set in an inner palace to have. Also, the characters are fabulous,” are comments that show how both the story and characters are popular with the fans. Since its media mix has developed into comics and drama CDs, many fans look forward to seeing an anime adaption.
■Here are some comments for other titles!
For “Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai Love Comedy”, “It centers on the childhood friend, but the other heroines are also charming. The story never gets old either,” and “The promotional video was interesting, so I'd like to see an anime adaption. Preferably with the same cast members!”
For “Reincarnated as a Sword”, “I think the innovative idea of being reincarnated as an inanimate object would stimulate the Isekai genre.”
For “Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi”, “I like the characters and story, but I would also want to see the characters enjoying the dishes in anime.”
For “My Stepmom's Daughter Was My Ex-Girlfriend”, “The conversations of the protagonist, heroine, and the other characters are interesting. It's also going to have a drama CD, so there's a good chance of it becoming an anime, isn't there?”
Many titles with promotional videos and drama CDs, have ranked high in this survey. There were also many voices wanting remakes and sequels of titles that have already been animated. Most of them were fantasy novels but there were also some Sci-Fi and School Life titles too.
[Which light novel/novel do you want to see an anime adaption of? First half of 2020]
1. “Legend” Kannaduki Kou
2. “ShangriLa Frontier ~ Shitty Games Hunter Challenges Godly Game ~” Kata Rina
3. “Kusuriya no Hitorigoto” Hyuuga Natsu
4. “Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai Love Comedy” Nimaru Shuuichi
5. “Reincarnated as a Sword” Tanaka Yuu
6. “The Detective is Already Dead” Nigojuu
7. “The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs” Mishima Yomu
7. “Classroom of the Elite” Kinugasa Shougo
9. “Chitose-kun wa Ramune Bin no Naka” Hiromu
9. “Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi” Eguchi Ren
11. “Seirei Gensouki: Spirit Chronicles” Kitayama Yuuri
11. “Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai Suru” Uno Bokuto
11. “Fate/strange Fake” Narita Ryougo
11. “My Stepmom's Daughter Was My Ex-Girlfriend” Kamishiro Kyousuke
11. “Mukashi Yuusha de Ima wa Hone” Saeki Yousuke
16. “Liar Liar” Kuo Haruki
17. “Afumi no Umi Minamo ga Yureru Toki” Isu Ra Fuiru
17. “Otonari no Tenshi-sama ni Itsu no Ma ni ka Dame Ningen ni Sareteita Ken” Saeki-san
17. “Only Sense Online” Aloha Zachou
17. “To Be a Power in the Shadows!” Aizawa Daisuke
17. “Bisco the Rust-eater” Cobkubo Shinji
17. “Jishou F-Rank no Oniisama ga Game de Hyouka sareru Gakuen no Chouten ni Kunrin suru Sou desu yo?” Mikawa Ghost
17. “Nageki no Bourei wa Intai Shitai ~Saijaku Hunter ni Yoru Saikyou Party Ikuseijutsu~” Tsukikage
17. “Fairy Tale Chronicles ~Kuuki Yomanai Isekai Life~” Haniwaseijin
17. “Moto Sekai Ichi’i no Sub-chara Ikusei Nikki ~Hai Player Isekai wo Kouryakuchuu!~” Sawamura Harutarou
17. “Rebuild World” Nafuse
(Voting Period: Jun. 3 to Jun. 12, 2020)