Jul. 14 is the birthday of Kamado Tanjirou, the protagonist of “Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba”.
“Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba” is a popular manga that had been serialized in “Weekly Shonen Jump” by Gotouge Koyoharu-san from 2016 to 2020. The latest comic vol.21 was just released onJul.3.
The TV anime was aired from Apr. to Sep. 2019 with a total of 26 episodes and “Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train” is set to be released in October.
The main character Kamado Tanjirou sets out on a journey to turn his sister Nezuko, who has become a demon, back into a human. Tanjirou meets many friends during his journey and has said many memorable lines. The question is, which line won the most hearts of the Anime!Anime! readers?
Here at Anime!Anime!, we conducted a survey asking our readers “What's Your Favorite Kamado Tanjirou Line?”. There were 141 votes during the voting period from Jul.1 to Jul.8.
The respondents were mainly female with a gender ratio of 85% female to 15% male, and the age range was on the younger side with 60% being under 19 and 15% being in their 20s.
■Awesome quotes made the list including some odd ones!
1st place went to “The bond between Nezuko and me, can’t be severed by anyone!” with roughly 25% of the votes.
The line was said during the battle against Rui in episode 19 of the anime. Comments received from readers were, “Tanjirou's words and attitude fighting against Rui to protect Nezuko no matter his wounds struck my heart. It was a one that shows Tanjirou's strong mind,” and “The fraternal love depicted throughout the story was condensed into this line.”
Other comments such as, “The line he said to Rui while 'The Song of Kamado Tanjirou' was playing in the background is still lingering in my head!” praised the production pointing out how the music was memorable.
The line that evokes the fraternal trust topped the list with a double score.
Coming in 2nd place was “Good luck! It's the heart that drives people. So your heart can grow as much as you want it to!!” with roughly 10% of the vote.
He said this to Tsuyuri Kanao in the final episode of the anime, episode 26. “These words of Tanjirou changed Kanao. It's not easy to change another person, so I thought it was amazing,” and “This line even cheers me up watching the show. I could relate to him saying that the heart drives people,” show that this line was popular for expressing Tanjirou's kindness. “I chose this line because it gives me courage when I feel like I'm going to break!”, is another comment pointing out how this line encourages the readers.
3rd place went to “I could take it because I am the big brother. If I was the second brother, I wouldn't be able to.” with roughly 8% of the votes.
This line is from episode 12. In this monologue he was enduring the pain from the battle. It was comical yet well portrayed Tanjirou's mental strength and received this comment, “It was a funny line, a bit off from the intense battle. But I felt that for Tanjirou, being the big brother was an important factor.” There was also a comment saying their child uses this line, “The 7-year-old big brother of our house uses this line to encourage himself when doing something painful or hard.”
■Here are some other comments!
For “No matter how many people you may lose, you have no choice but to go on living. No matter how devastating the blows might be.”, “I feel Tanjirou's determination standing up against the unreasonable world from this line, which is also in the lyrics of 'The Song of Kamado Tanjirou'.”
For “I can do it. I know I can do it.”, “Encouraging himself straightforward is a good representation of Tanjirou, and it makes me want to cheer for him.”
For “Please God, please don't let him become a demon in his next life.”, “I love how mentally strong Tanjirou is to even show kindness toward the demons.”
For “It's so frustrating. Every time I become able to do one thing, there's always another thick wall waiting right in front of me.”, “I felt heart-wrenched to hear Tanjirou, who worked so hard for his family, expressing his negative thoughts.”
The results show that fans were fascinated by Tanjirou having a variety of faces: strong, kind, and sometimes just an ordinary boy.
[What's Your Favorite Kamado Tanjirou Line?]
1. “The bond between Nezuko and me, can’t be severed by anyone!”
2. “Good luck! It's the heart that drives people. So your heart can grow as much as you want it to!!”
3. “I could take it because I am the big brother. If I was the second brother, I wouldn't be able to.”
4. “No matter how many people you may lose, you have no choice but to go on living. No matter how devastating the blows might be.”
5. “I can do it. I know I can do it. I'm the guy who gets it done, broken bones or not. No matter what, I can do it! I can fight!”
6. “Please God, please don't let him become a demon in his next life.”
7. “Because Demons were humans… they were humans like me.”
7. “The strong should aid and protect the weak. Then, the weak will become strong and they, in turn, will aid and protect those weaker than them. That is the law of nature.”
7. “Rengou-san was way better!! He was strong! He didn't lose! He never let anyone die! He fought till the end and protected everyone!”
10. “A god of what, exactly?”
10. “I'm going to beat you here! Even if it cost my life!”
10. “What you do for there's eventually comes around to do good for you. I was going to go anyway so it's all okay.”
10. “Muzan, you are something that should not exist.”
(Voting Period: Jul.1 to Jul. 8, 2020)